Are you lost for words?
There are times that we might not find the exact words to explain or express the feeling when travelling. Maybe adding the words below to your vocabulary will help. Learning new words is fun especially if it relates to your hobby or interest. Below are ten words every traveller should know.
- Wayfarer (n. | way·far·er | \ˈwā-ˌfer-ər\) ( English) : a person who travels from place to place usually by walking.
- Smultroställe (n. | Smul-tron-stel-e) (Swedish) : A special place discovered, treasured, returned to for solace and relaxation; a personal idyll free from stress and sadness.
- Eleutheromania (n. | el-U-“ther-O-‘mAn-E-a) (Greek) : An intense and irresistible desire for freedom.
- Sojourn (n. | so·journ | \ˈsō-ˌjərn, sō-ˈ\) (Latin, Old French) : A period of time when you stay in a place as a traveler or guest.
- Coddiwomple (v.) (English Slang Word) – To travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination.
- Hodophile (adj.) Greek – “Lover of roads”, or better “love of travel.”
- Wanderlust (n. | wan·der·lust | \ˈwän-dər-ˌləst\): a strong, innate, impulse or desire to travel the world
- Fernweh (n | Fern-v ) (German) : Farsickness. An urge to travel even stronger than wanderlust.
- Resfeber (n. | RACE-fay-ber) : the restless race of the traveler’s heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.
- Solivagant (adj. | So-liv”a-gant ): wandering alone; (n.) a solitary wanderer
If you are planning to start a travel blog, these words could also be used as part of a domain or blog name. Do you have any favorite words that every traveller should know? Don’t forget to comment below.