Lantau Island: Sky, Land & Sea
Lantau Island is a major tourist destination and the largest island in Hong Kong. The Island is famous for the giant Buddha, beaches, fishing villages and beautiful mountains. Hong Kong International Airport and Disneyland is also located in Lantau Island making it convinient for travelers. The island has a lush vegitation which is a stark contrast to the concrete jungle found in down town Hong Kong.
The best time to visit Hong Kong is from October to February (fall-early spring). When we visited last November it rained on the day we went to Lantau Island. The weather that week was pleasant but on that day the weather drastically changed.
9 Must-Do Attractions:
1. Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car – It provides a spectacular view of Lantau Island and the surrounding area. When we visited it was raining and foggy so we didn’t see any view from our cabin. The best time to ride the cable car is during clear and sunny day. The cable car is 5.7 km long and considered as the longest bi-cable ropeway in Asia. The ride takes about 30 min. long. There are 2 types of cabin, the Standard Cabin and the more expensive Crystal Cabin. The Crystal cabin has a glass bottom which will make the ride extra exciting. Hours of operation : Weekdays,Weekends & Public Holidays 10:00am – 6:00pm (Ngong Ping Village Only). For more info visit: www.np360.com.hk
* Ngong Ping 360 cable car service will be closed on Jan. 1 2017 to Jun. 1 2017 for maintenance.
2. Ngong Ping Village – If you are expecting a “Chinese village” then you will be disappointed. Ngong Ping village is a “themed village” full of shops catered to tourists. The buildings are based on Chinese architectural design.
3. Ngong Ping Piaza – Located at the center of Ngong Ping, it links the other attractions in the area.
4. Big Buddha (Tian Tan Buddha )– The bronze Buddha statue was erected in 1993 and it sit at 34 meters high.
5. Po Lin Monastery– It is an important Buddhist sanctum in Hong Kong and home to many Buddhist monks. Enjoy walking around the garden and learn more about Buddhism.
6. Wisdom Path– The path has 38 wooden monuments containing verses from the Heart Sutra. The path is a short walk from Po Lin Monastary. It is located at the hillside of Ngong Ping and offers a nice view of the South China Sea.
7. *Tai O Village – If you have extra time to spare, visit Tai O Village. This village is an authentic Chinese fishing village. It is also known as the “Venice of Asia”. The houses are built on wooden stilts in the water. Since the weather was not good we skipped visiting the village. I will definitely check Tai O village next time.
8. City Gate Outlets – Shopping time, it is the largest outlet mall in Hong Kong. It is located at Tung Chung MTR station (Exit C). Mall hours: 10 am–10 PM. For updated deals and Shop information please visit www.citygateoutlets.com.hk/.
9. Hong Kong Disney Land – A trip to Hong Kong will not be complete without visiting the happiest place on earth. For more information please visit www.hongkongdisneyland.com.
How to get there:
Ride the MTR (Tung Chung Station), then exit at Exit B. Walk towards Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal. You can also ride a bus or taxi to reach Ngong Ping/ Big Buddha. Ride Bus. # 23, it is cheaper than using the cable car but travel time will be longer. The road is curvy (zig zag) so it might make you feel sick (car sickness) but the view is spectacular. There are lockers available at the Ngong Ping 360 Terminus. The cost is 20 HKD for 3 hrs. and 70 HKD for 24 hrs.
To reach Hong Kong Disney Land, simply board the Disneyland Resort Line at Sunny Bay Station.
To check MTR train schedule and information please visit the MTR website.
Sample Itinerary: One-Day Lantau Island tour
- Ngong Ping 360 cable car (round-trip) (or one way trip and just ride the Bus back to the terminal)
- Ngong Ping Village
- Ngongping Piaza
- Big Buddha + Museum
- Po Lin Monastery + Vegetarian Lunch
- Wisdom Path
- Tai O Fishing Village
- City Gate Outlets
Hong Kong / Lantau Island Travel Deals (affiliate):
Watch our Lantau Island Adventure: